Casepin
Back to cases

Unsolved case

December 2022 Kagoro killings

Between December 19 and 25, 2022, unidentified armed groups attacked several villages in the Kagoro chiefdom of Kaduna State, Nigeria, killing more than 46 people and burning hundreds of homes.

Illustrative

Background

Kaduna State, in central Nigeria, has experienced sustained banditry and herder–farmer violence since the early 2010s, much of it concentrated along the Abuja–Kaduna Highway but also affecting more remote villages such as those in the Kagoro chiefdom. In March 2022, alleged Fulani herdsmen carried out a reprisal attack after the death of a Fulani herder, killing over 37 people and destroying a town. Kaduna State governor Nasir El-Rufai subsequently visited the affected village and increased military presence, establishing a protection force known as Operation Safe Haven. Following that attack, the area reportedly saw no further bandit or herder-farmer violence for a period. In the weeks before the December 2022 attacks, residents of Kagoro had observed a buildup of bandit weaponry and personnel, but local military forces did not intervene. On December 15, 2022, three people were killed in a separate bandit attack on Mallagum 1 village.

The Attacks

The first attack began around 11pm on December 19, 2022, in the village of Sokwong, where attackers burned all sixty-two houses in the village, some with occupants inside, stole motorcycles, and shot more than ten civilians as they attempted to flee into the bush. The attackers then moved to the nearby village of Mallagum 1, where approximately 102 houses were burned and more than 28 people were killed.

The chairman of Sokwong village said afterward that nearly every house in the village had been destroyed and that few residents managed to save their belongings. The Southern Kaduna People's Union (SOKAPU) said that after the attacks, villagers returned to search for bodies, many of which remained in the surrounding bush after residents fled. By December 21, 2022, the combined death toll from the two villages had reached 40. A funeral for victims was held on December 22, 2022.

Following the funeral, gunmen returned to Mallagum 1 and, according to witnesses, began shooting sporadically. This second attack occurred between 9 and 10pm on December 25, 2022, coinciding with Christmas celebrations among many Nigerian Christians. At least three additional people were killed in this post-funeral attack.

Aftermath

On January 1, 2023, Ufuwai Bonet, the chief of Kagoro chiefdom, said he was open to dialogue with Fulani herdsmen to prevent further killings. John Joseph Hayab, director of the Global Peace Foundation–Nigeria, echoed these calls for peace and negotiation. Senator Gideon Gwani, who represents Kaura Local Government Area where Kagoro is located, criticized the killings and the military's inaction in preventing them, and noted that most affected villages remained deserted into early January 2023.

Key facts

Victims
On file
Date
2022
Location
Kagoro chiefdom, Kaura LGA, Kaduna State, Nigeria
Case status
unsolved

Case timeline

  1. 2022-03

    Alleged Fulani herdsmen carry out a reprisal attack in Kaduna State, killing over 37 people; Governor Nasir El-Rufai increases military presence and establishes Operation Safe Haven.

  2. 2022-12-15

    Three people killed in a bandit attack on Mallagum 1 village.

  3. 2022-12-19

    Attack begins around 11pm in Sokwong village; all 62 houses burned and over ten civilians shot while fleeing. Attackers proceed to Mallagum 1, burning around 102 houses and killing over 28 people.

  4. 2022-12-21

    Combined death toll for Sokwong and Mallagum 1 reaches 40.

  5. 2022-12-22

    Funeral held for victims of the attacks.

  6. 2022-12-25

    Gunmen return to Mallagum 1 between 9 and 10pm and shoot sporadically; at least three more people killed.

  7. 2023-01-01

    Kagoro chiefdom chief Ufuwai Bonet states he is open to dialogue with Fulani herdsmen; Senator Gideon Gwani notes most villages remain deserted.

Best coverage

No coverage has been attached to this file yet.

People

  • Ufuwai Bonet

    LAW ENFORCEMENT

    Chief of Kagoro chiefdom; called for dialogue with Fulani herdsmen following the attacks

  • Gideon Gwani

    LAW ENFORCEMENT

    Senator representing Kaura LGA (where Kagoro is located); publicly criticized the killings and military inaction

Roles reflect public records and court outcomes at the time of writing — supporting citations are on file under Sources.

Places

Common questions

What happened to the victim?
Between December 19 and 25, 2022, unidentified armed groups attacked several villages in the Kagoro chiefdom of Kaduna State, Nigeria, killing more than 46 people and burning hundreds of homes.
Where did the killings happen?
Kagoro chiefdom, Kaura LGA, Kaduna State, Nigeria.
What is the current status of the case?
Status: unsolved. Last verified July 2026.

Sources

  1. ENCYCLOPEDICDecember 2022 Kagoro killingsWikipedia · 2026-07-07
  2. PRESSSouthern Kaduna attacks: Our doors open for dialogue — Kagoro chiefdailypost.ng · 2026-07-07
  3. PRESSKagoro and the Knives of Terrorthisdaylive.com · 2026-07-07

Record history

First published
JUL 07, 2026
Last verified against sources
JUL 07, 2026

When a file you follow changes — a new development, a correction, fresh coverage — the Dispatch is how you hear about it.

The Casepin Dispatch

A calm weekly briefing from the archive — one case worth understanding, meaningful updates to files you follow, and the best new coverage. You’ll also get the one-time note when the apps land. No gore, no rumor, no drip.