Casepin
Back to cases

Unsolved case

2015 Beirut Bombings

On 12 November 2015, two suicide bombers attacked the Bourj el-Barajneh suburb of Beirut, Lebanon, killing at least 43 people and injuring over 200. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed responsibility.

Bourj el-Barajneh entrance - Flickr - Al Jazeera English
Bourj el-Barajneh entrance - Flickr - Al Jazeera English — Credit: Al Jazeera English · CC BY-SA 2.0

On 12 November 2015, two suicide bombings occurred in a commercial district of the Bourj el-Barajneh suburb of southern Beirut, Lebanon, an area inhabited mostly by Shia Muslims and considered a stronghold of Hezbollah. The first bombing occurred outside a Shia mosque, and the second took place five to seven minutes later inside a nearby bakery, about 20 metres away, as bystanders tried to help those injured in the initial blast. A potential third attacker was found dead, reportedly killed by the second explosion before he could detonate his own explosives belt. The Lebanese Health Ministry reported at least 43 deaths, with Health Minister Wael Abu Faour stating that 239 people were injured; Lebanon's Red Cross/Red Crescent affiliate said over 200 people were injured. The attack was described as the worst terrorist attack in Beirut since the end of the Lebanese Civil War, occurring twelve days after the bombing of a Russian airliner over the Sinai Peninsula and one day before the November 2015 Paris attacks, both also claimed by ISIL.

Among those killed were two staff members of the American University of Beirut, three Lebanese-American residents of Dearborn, Michigan (a 49-year-old woman and a young couple, whose three-year-old son was severely injured), and Hajj Hussein Yaari, described as a senior figure in Hezbollah's security system. Adel Termos, a Beirut resident, was killed after reportedly tackling one of the bombers, an act credited with potentially saving lives; he was widely described on social media as a hero.

Within 48 hours, Lebanon's Internal Security Forces arrested six suspects, reportedly including five Syrians and a Palestinian, later expanding the total to eleven arrests and then announcing two further Syrian and Lebanese suspects, including some detained in a Palestinian refugee camp in Bourj el-Barajneh and in a flat in Beirut's Achrafieh district allegedly used to prepare explosive belts. Investigators said the original plan had been to send five suicide bombers to target a hospital in the neighborhood but that heavy security forced a change of target. Hezbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah stated that Syrian and Lebanese detainees were arrested on suspicion of involvement. Investigators also drew a link between this attack and a November 5, 2015 bombing in Arsal that killed four people.

ISIL claimed responsibility, stating that two Palestinians and a Syrian carried out the attacks. On November 26, Lebanese media outlet Al-Manar reported that a team of Syrian and Hezbollah agents had killed a man suspected of smuggling the two bombers into Lebanon from Raqqa, during an operation in Homs Governorate, though the timing of that operation was not specified.

Lebanese officials, including Acting President and Prime Minister Tammam Salam and Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk, condemned the attack and declared a day of national mourning. International bodies including the United Nations and numerous governments issued condemnations, and Amnesty International denounced the attack as showing "appalling disregard for human life."

Key facts

Victims
Adel Termos, Hajj Hussein Yaari
Date
2015
Location
Bourj el-Barajneh, Beirut, Lebanon
Case status
unsolved

Case timeline

  1. 2015-11-05

    A bombing in Arsal, Lebanon, kills four people; investigators later draw connections between this attack and the Beirut bombings.

  2. 2015-11-12

    Two suicide bombers attack Bourj el-Barajneh, a southern suburb of Beirut, near a Shia mosque and a nearby bakery, killing at least 43 people and injuring over 200.

  3. 2015-11-13

    Lebanon's Acting President and Prime Minister Tammam Salam declares a day of national mourning.

  4. 2015-11-14

    Approximately 48 hours after the attack, Lebanon's Internal Security Forces arrest six suspects, reportedly five Syrians and a Palestinian.

  5. 2015-11-26

    Al-Manar reports that Syrian and Hezbollah agents killed a man suspected of smuggling the two bombers into Lebanon from Raqqa, during an operation in Homs Governorate.

Best coverage

No coverage has been attached to this file yet.

People

  • Adel Termos

    VICTIM

    Beirut resident killed after reportedly tackling one of the suicide bombers, an act credited with potentially saving lives.

  • Hajj Hussein Yaari

    VICTIM

    Senior figure in Hezbollah's security system, reportedly killed in the attack.

Roles reflect public records and court outcomes at the time of writing — supporting citations are on file under Sources.

Archival records

  • Bourj el-Barajneh entrance - Flickr - Al Jazeera English

    archival location

    Bourj el-Barajneh entrance - Flickr - Al Jazeera English

    Credit: Al Jazeera English · CC BY-SA 2.0 · Source

Places

Common questions

What happened to the victim?
On 12 November 2015, two suicide bombers attacked the Bourj el-Barajneh suburb of Beirut, Lebanon, killing at least 43 people and injuring over 200. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed responsibility.
Where did the crime happen?
Bourj el-Barajneh, Beirut, Lebanon.
What is the current status of the case?
Status: unsolved.

Sources

  1. ENCYCLOPEDIC2015 Beirut bombingsWikipedia · 2026-07-07
  2. PRESSContemporaneous coverage — ABC News (Australia)ABC News (Australia) · 2026-07-07
  3. PRESSContemporaneous coverage — ReutersReuters · 2026-07-07

Record history

First published
JUL 07, 2026

When a file you follow changes — a new development, a correction, fresh coverage — the Dispatch is how you hear about it.

The Casepin Dispatch

A calm weekly briefing from the archive — one case worth understanding, meaningful updates to files you follow, and the best new coverage. You’ll also get the one-time note when the apps land. No gore, no rumor, no drip.